History of St Peter's Church
The first record of a church in Limpsfield is in the Domesday Book in 1086. Although no part of the original church survives today, the oldest part of the present church building is the south aisle and tower, thought to have been built around 1180.
The church set above the road would have been a focal point when it was originally built. Now ten centuries on, St Peter’s church and churchyard remain at the heart of the Limpsfield community serving all people locally and beyond.
Over the centuries the church has expanded, with the chancel extended in the thirteenth century and a north chapel – now the Gresham Chapel – built towards the middle of the century. Also from this century is the narrow south aisle, with its arcade of arches to complement those between the chancel and Gresham chapel. The south door and porch are from the sixteenth century. In the early nineteenth century the vestry room to the east side of the tower was built. In the mid-nineteenth century the church was enlarged, with a new aisle added to the north side of the nave. By the end of the century the gallery at the west end of the nave had been removed, along with the Jacobite pews, replaced by the present oak benches. Changes in the twentieth century included two stained glass windows set in the south wall of the chancel in 1900 and the construction of the present vestry. The newest part of the church is the Millennium Room built in 2000 on the north side of the church, adding much needed toilet facilities and a room for other activities.
St Peter’s has a peal of six bells. Until 1877 there were only four, but in that year two were re-cast and two more added.
The oldest bell was probably cast in the churchyard between 1350 and 1400. The bells ring for half an hour before the main Sunday service, at special services and at weddings, and usually practice on Tuesday evenings.